2019 CALL FOR EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
Deadline: 5:00 PM on Friday, October 12th, 2018
The Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library are pleased to announce their 3rd Call for Exhibition Proposals, consisting of bi-monthly shows of two-dimensional works by New England area artists in the Jamaica Plain Branch Library’s public exhibition space. The Selection Committee will meets annually to select shows for the following year. The gallery space will be managed by our collaborative partner, Uforge. Applications are now being accepted for exhibits for the January-December 2019 cycle. If you have submitted with us in the past, you must resubmit. Gallery Display Space: approx. 20 feet x 4 feet
Rules and Guidelines for Exhibiting:
- Applicants must be from the New England area. There is NO COST to submit a proposal for consideration.
- All work presented must be original and produced within the last five years.
- Giclée reproductions of original work will not be accepted. This guideline does not apply to giclée printed photographs.
- We use the STAS cliprail system for hanging art. Works must have a wire across the back, ⅓ from the top of the work to accommodate this system. (We do not show free-standing sculptural pieces.)
- Adhering or apply anything directly to our walls is prohibited.
- Please refrain from submitting material that is obscene, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment. There will be children in the area on a daily basis.
- One packet per artist or group, please.
- If you are applying for a group show, submit one combined packet (see below for more details).
- You must be available to show for at least 3 out of the 6 months in the current round.
- If you are accepted, the Friends will determine when your show will take place. The assignments are fixed and cannot be changed. Please do not request a specific month.
- Incomplete or incorrect submissions will not be considered; please follow these instructions carefully.
Due Date for Submissions and Posting of Results:
- The submissions must be received by 5:00 PM on Friday, October 12th.
- The committee's selections will be posted on the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library website at www.friendsjplibrary.org within 4 weeks after the due date.
- If selected, you will also be notified by email. Uforge will work with you directly to execute the exhibit.
- Artists who were not selected will be contacted by email.
Preparing a Submission:
We encourage artists to send the following as a zip file to email@example.com. Only online submissions will be accepted at this time for consideration. If you have submitted with us in the past, you must resubmit.
- 10 digital images of recent 2-dimensional, original work, dimensions of at least 1200 pixels on the shortest side (4" at 300 dpi), jpg format.
- The jpgs must be named as follows: Image number_Artist's last name_dimensions indicating inches or feet_ TitleofWork_medium_year produced. Example: 01_Doe_18x24inches_TitleofWork_AcryliconCanvas_2013
- A Word document with a numbered list noting image number, artist's last name, dimensions indicating inches or feet, title of work, medium, year produced, and price.
- A one-page resumé pertaining to your work as an artist, 12 point font minimum with the artist name and contact information including an email address, mailing address, social media handles, and phone number.
- In 50 words or less, a Word document with a brief description of your work as an artist. In addition to the 50-word description, any limitations on your ability to show in a given month (due travel plans or other extraordinary circumstances) should be specified here. Again, you must be available to show for at least 3 out of the 6 months in the current round.
- If you are preparing a group application for a themed exhibit, send up to 10 jpgs (for example for a 3-person show, 3 images per artist), a proposed title, one resumé per artist and one 50-word or less combined description of the theme.
Planning a Reception:
Once an artist's work is accepted and a show is scheduled, an opening reception will be planned on behalf of the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library and/or a generous show sponsor.
All publicity is handled by our managing partner, Uforge, including: a press release, various social media channels, exhibition page on the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library website, invitational postcards, flyers, and more.
The Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library or Uforge will not manage or oversee inquiries or transactions regarding the purchase of artwork displayed. However, contact information for the artist will be made available to library patrons in the exhibition space and on line. Should an exhibiting artist choose to make a donation to the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch to help defray expenses related to art exhibitions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Artwork will be handled with utmost care. The Boston Public Library-Jamaica Plain Branch, the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library, and Uforge Gallery do not hold insurance for artwork on exhibit to the public and are not responsible for any loss or damage of the artist's work whatsoever. Exhibiting artists will be required to sign a waiver on or before the day the show is hung.
Delivery and Return of Work
If selected, work must be hand-delivered to 30 South Street and will remain on display for the duration of the show. Works will be returned in the same manner as delivered. All work must be dropped-off and picked-up by the specified dates. Due to limited storage space, work remaining unclaimed after the specified date will become property of the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library.
By agreeing to participate in library exhibitions you are giving Boston Public Library-Jamaica Plain Branch, the Friends of the Jamaica Plain Branch Library, and Uforge Gallery the right to use images of your work for any promotional materials and website. Newspapers and other media outlets are allowed to use images of your work in material promoting the exhibiting artists. Submission of your work indicates acceptance of all conditions stated above.
About the Selection Committee:
The 5-member selection committee is comprised by representatives of the Central BPL, JP Branch, Friends of the JP Library, as well as standing members of the local business and arts community. The following art mediums will be considered for selection of five (5) solo shows and one (1) themed group show in Drawing, Mixed Media/Collage, Painting, Photography, and Printmaking.
Do you still have a question? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.