About the Jamaica Plain Branch Library
The JP Branch building opened in 1911, the first building built by the Boston Public Library specifically to serve as a branch library. However, the JP Branch has been actually serving the community since 1876. It first opened as a Reading Room within Curtis Hall. Throughout its first 105 years, the JP Branch, with one of the smallest spaces of all the branches and less staff than most, continually ranked in the top three for circulation numbers. The JP Branch closed in August 2015 and re-opened after a total renovation on May 20, 2017. The renovation created new spaces and enhanced the old building, making the JP Branch better than ever.
The main Boston Public Library site provides the online museum pass registration system (using Quick Links at top), access to the catalog and Overdrive (the e-book and other downloadable media check-out system). There is also a City-Wide Friends of the Boston Public Library group who work to promote awareness of the BPL system and its resources.