Each year, the Friends purchase museum passes to be distributed at the JP Branch Library to library patrons, to augment the existing BPL museum pass program. The passes offer free (or discounted) entry to local attractions.
Passes can be reserved online by visiting the BPL website or you can also call the library (up to 60 days in advance). Passes are only distributed to the person who made the reservation. If you cannot use a pass you reserved, please remember to call and cancel the reservation so that someone else can use the pass that day instead!
Available at all Boston Public Library Locations:
- Children's Museum – discounted pass, half-price per person; will admit up to 4 people.
- Massachusetts DCR ParksPass hang tag – free parking for 1 vehicle at state park facilities that charge a parking fee.
- Museum of Fine Arts – discounted pass – $7 per person, will admit up to 2 people to general admission
Sponsored by the Museum of Fine Arts and the City-Wide Friends of the Boston Public Library.
- Museum of Science – free pass; will admit up to 4 people.
- New England Aquarium – free pass; will admit up to 4 people; September - June only
Sponsored by the New England Aquarium and the City-Wide Friends of the Boston Public Library.
Available at the Jamaica Plain Branch (with funding from the Friends):
- Boston By Foot - good for up to 4 people on any classic tour; for special tours pass holders pay the member rate.
- Harvard Art Museums - free pass; good for 2 adult admissions.
- Institute of Contemporary Art/ICA – discounted pass, $5 per person; will admit up to 2 adults.
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum – discounted pass, $5 per person; weekdays - will admit up to 4 visitors; weekends and holidays - will admit up to 2 visitors.
- Larz Anderson Auto Museum – free pass; admits one family.
- John F Kennedy Library and Museum – discounted pass, $3 per person; will admit up to 2 adults.
- Edward M Kennedy Institute - free pass; admits one family.
- Trustees Go Pass - free admission to a Trustees of Reservation property for 2 adults and 2 children. (Parking rates, camping fees, etc. are not included).
- Zoo New England – discounted pass, $6 per adult and $4 per child up to 6 people; pass also good for 10% discount at concessions and in gift store. Available for use April-September.
Museum Pass Policy: With a valid library card, you can signup for one pass per month for each museum. However, you cannot reserve more than one museum pass a day, even for different museums. You cannot have more than $10 in fines on your library card in order to be eligible for museum passes. Please remember to cancel any pass you reserve and cannot use, so it will be freed up for someone else!
Paper Passes are like movie tickets; they are good for the day they are stamped, and are collected by the museum upon entry. They do not have to be returned.
Plastic Passes are checked out like library books, and have to be returned the following day. They are good for the day of the week indicated on the pass. Make sure you return the pass in person, on the day indicated or you will lose your museum pass privileges for at least three months! If passes are not returned on time, the fine per day is $10.00.
The library staff are always happy to help with figuring out the pass program!